Thursday, November 30, 2006

Further Reductions Taken. And Accepted.

One advantage of becoming poor after having money is that in my former life I had the chance to develop good taste. Yes, I know, money can’t buy you taste. Or love for that matter. But it allows you to be exposed to the finer things and finer (not necessarily morally) people. This, in turn, allows you to enter the “knock-off” phase of life with confidence and vision. Allow me to elaborate. Let’s say you have $15 to buy a new outfit. Yes, you heard right. Fifteen dollars for a whole outfit. Now, you can either go to the dollar store and buy something with let’s say… three-dimensional embellishment (feathers, glitter, puffy embossments, or vinyl candy canes during the holiday season) or go to Target and put together something smashing from the “further reduced” racks. (My heart literally leaps with joy when I see the sales associates approaching with the electronic price guns. It means another price cut.) Recently, I put together a printed chiffon-esque tunic with a sassy tulle skirt all in shades of teal and gray. Yummy.

The only downside to my frugal couture is that I have the urge to immediately tell everyone that the outfit only cost X dollars. Kind of defeats the purpose of savvy shopping, doesn’t it?

1 comment:

aj said...

I am generally the first to mock 3D/glitter sweaters... but apparently there is a horde of women out there who love them to death:

http://tinyurl.com/yg4cmy

I'd brag about the bargain... but I'm shameless in my frugality.

Target is wonderful for cheap stuff. As my mother says, "shop the perimeter!"