Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Accessories to a Crime

Anyone who has relatives who went through the Great Depression--and I don't mean when Friends went off the air--knows about hoarding/stockpiling. It's the practice of buying vast quantities of items such as toilet paper, paper towel, laundry detergent, canned soup, tuna fish, flour, etc. and placing it in holding areas typically founds in basements, pantries and garages. Just in case. In its most virulent form, this behavior can segue into Packratitis--a dangerous condition in which you're apt to be rendered unconscious by an avalanche of canned prunes. Lot of good "regularity" will do you then.

Little did I know I was following a sociological imperative when years ago, I began my own insidious pattern of hoarding. In my case, not having lived through the Great Depression (only the chronically mediocre variety), this was anticipatory hoarding. Just in case I should...God forbid... ever be poor.

Once again, my prescience has proven a boon. At last count, I have in my possession (and this is no joke):

74 pairs of earrings
7 working watches/2 in need of batteries
42 necklaces
16 bracelets
12 Brooches/pins
54 pairs of shoes
6 pairs of boots
4 pairs of athletic shoes
16 outerwear coats/jackets
22 scarves
28 pairs of dress socks
12 pairs of white socks
15 pairs of tights/pantyhose

I'm hoping the bus driver will accept some of my shiny trinkets in lieu of fare.

3 comments:

aj said...

And here I was so proud of the possession-purging binge I've been on... now it just reeks of a lack of foresight!

Anonymous said...

That's all?

Lyn W. said...

Yep. And every time I leave the house I get the strangest looks.