Sunday, December 10, 2006

Emergency Dining

It's a very scary thought. Eating hospital food when you don't have to. But, in my quest for getting more bang for my dining buck, I have been hitting the local hospital cafeteria. To me, it's oddly comforting in that it takes me back to my youth. I worked my way through college at a hospital.
I remember liking the quiet of my 8 p.m. break in the caf. Having a nice piece of cherry pie and milk. I didn't even drink coffee then. Unbelievable to me now.

On my last visit, I had the beef stroganoff special. The noodles were fluffy and plentiful and the gravy had a nice richness and featured real mushrooms, not the canned variety. They served it with a good helping of sauteed broccoli with onions, red peppers and more mushrooms.

All in all, a very satisfying meal for just $3.65. Perhaps I'll hit some other nearby hospitals and do a culinary comparison.

The only problem is, I have this ridiculous notion that security will haul me away for not being a legitimate visitor or employee. Like they should actually turn away someone who volunteers to pay for a hospital meal......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling this is going to be a new trend, like going to CHIC for lunch was 10 years ago. You trendtalker, you.