Friday, December 8, 2006

Branching Out

There is a tremendous upside to being under perpetual financial siege and living the “before” part of a Lifetime movie. It takes so damn little to make me leap for joy now. And this is really, really good because it used to take so damn much to even move the needle.

Allow me share some of the little miracles that have kept the light of hope burning. Just this morning, I was thinking that I wanted to get a little Christmas tree. Without funds, I thought of making a stealth raid with tree trimming shears to my neighbor’s Evergreen patch. I can never keep the different pines straight but these are the trees with long, soft needles. They called to me like the ghost of Christmas past. Then, lo and behold, as I was walking back from the store, I noticed there were several of said branches just lying there in the alley. Enough for a fragrant little arrangement of some sort. All without having to resort to misdemeanor defoliation. I felt as if I had won the Yuletide lottery.

And of course, no Lifetime movie would ever be complete without scenes of touching support from friends. Several friends have come though with major monetary gifts just as I was in my darkest hour. My dear friend, Hillary,
has been a daily source of comfort, laughs and good advice. Ditto for Mike. And my friend and legal counsel, Stuart (chicagolandbankruptcy.com), actually called me from the grocery aisle and took “my order” as he dropped a week’s worth of groceries in the cart. I was so touched I could barely speak.

I’m not typically one to throw around the “I’m blessed” language. So, I won’t. I’m too busy decking the halls with found foliage.

No comments: