Friday, December 29, 2006

Life in Reverse

Haven't posted in a while. Chalk it off to the holidays. Or to the fact that I will be starting a new job after the first of the year and all my juicy, inspiring animus has seemingly fallen by the wayside.
It's not like I'm out of the woods. Not by a long shot. In fact, as I write this, I wonder how I will pay for transportation to and from work until I get paid. Then, when I do get paid, there are about three months of immediate payments in arrears . Not to mention obliterated credit, and seemingly insurmountable major debt to contend with.

Hey....I think I feel my animus returning as I realize my new job will pay exactly what I was making about 15 years ago when I left Leo Burnett, a major ad agency based in downtown Chicago. Perhaps it's the first sign of "life in reverse" syndrome that will have me babbling and diapered in my old age.

But maybe the biggest pain in my animus is the realization that I haven't worked a standard
40+ work week in almost nine years. Sure, I have worked more hours than 40 in a given week for many stretches at a time. Yet, I always knew that I would have a reprieve after crunch time.

In other words, at the time when many people are setting their sights on retirement, I am starting over and struggling to find the fire in my belly. And hoping that when I find it, it's not heartburn again.

No comments: