Thursday, December 7, 2006

A New Kind of White Collar Crime

Simply put, it's a crime against humanity and all our futures. We're putting qualified, college-educated professionals out to pasture prematurely at an alarming rate. But, all is certainly not lost.

Yesterday, I received a very nice e-mail from Diane Alexander at United Professionals .
Barbara Ehrenreich, best-selling author of Bait & Switch, as well as Nickel & Dimed, formed the group as a way for unemployed and underemployed white collar folks to have a voice and effect change in the vital areas of health insurance and unemployment benefits among other things. Diane asked me to write a guest blog on their site, as well as permission to add my link to their site. It's nice to be wanted. I had forgotten that feeling!

The UP site is a treasure trove of commiseration, as well as real tools like legal resources, job assistance, and news about advocacy and lobbying efforts. Check it out. You will be amazed at just how many folks are out there with true stories of displacement and economic hardship. These people, like myself, have spent long careers contributing to the economy and building the very structures that have since leveled us.

My hope is to utilize this newfound community as more than an opportunity to kvetch and whine. God knows, I don't need yet another outlet for that. I hope to share the wisdom and survivor spirit of my fellow warriors as we refuse to take things lying down.

No comments: